According to statistics every year hundreds of people get bitten by snakes and out of those people only 4-6 die. The majority of the time snakes are not venomous. But what should you do if you encounter a snake bite (especially a venomous one)?
In this article, I’ll explain
- how to spot a venomous snake
- How to identify a snake bite is venomous or not.
- How to First Aid a snake bite.
How to spot a venomous snake?
If you ever encounter a snake bite, the first thing you need to do is remove yourself from the vicinity of the snake. Because they’ll strike again if threatened. And you shouldn’t try to capture the snake to identify it. However, if you are able to get a picture safely, you should do so. To help the hospital to better identify the snake.
If you’re only able to take a look at the snake. Then look for his head shape and any definitive mark on his back. Those will be the biggest indicator of what kind of snake you’re dealing with.
How to identify if a snake bite is venomous or not?
You can identify a venomous snake by its bite. If you have two puncture wounds then it’s most likely a viper of some kind. Which is venomous in nature.
But if the bite looks like a half-moon above and below then it’s probably a non-venomous snake.
So now you have found out about how you can identify snake bites. It’s time for First aid.
Snake Bite First Aid
The first thing you need to do is stop the bleeding by pressure dressing. Remember not to apply any type of tourniquet. It is a common misconception that by applying a tourniquet to your limb, you can stop the venom from spreading. But instead, it can cause severe limb damage. (If you need to apply tourniquet to stop life-threatening bleeding, you can do so. But it should not be performed routinely.)
Keep the victim as calm as possible through this entire procedure. The lower their heart rate will be, the less venom will spread throughout the body.
Additional step: If you have the same splint available at your first aid kit. Then apply it to the victim limbs. This’ll help in stopping movement in the affected area. And will stop the venom from flowing to the body.
Call 911 and describe the situation briefly.
Few more important points to Remember
- If the patient is bitten by a nonvenomous snake then look for these signs: nausea, vomiting, increase bleeding, hypertension, headache, etc.
- Never try to cut the wound and suck on the wound to take out the venom.
- Don’t buy useless snake bite kits.
- The younger the snake then they’re less likely to envenomate you.